Thursday, July 24, 2014

Halfway through the MTC!!

(emailed to Friends)
Life goes on.  Here's the next installment.  This week cruised by.  It feels like I was writing emails yesterday!

First off, I'm really beginning to love the gospel.  It's crazy.  I can feel it bubbling up inside.  It's all becoming more and more real now.  I am a child of God.  It's real.  I can't believe it.  I'm glad I made it out here!  Cuz this is the place to be.

Also food wise I tried something called mangu and yuku.  It's funky, but not bad.  Not something I'd go and seek out.  There's also amazing juice with every meal.  Breakfast is the usual pancakes, oatmeal, toast, or brownies.  Or a mix of those.  Lunch is always rice beans and some sort of meat.  Dinner is soooo random. We had mac and cheese and mashed potatoes last night.  So weird.  It's great stuff though.

The temple has also been closed the last two weeks which stinks.  We should get to go in next week though! Woo!

I've also felt the Spirit here more than I have anywhere else.  It's been amazing.  I'm starting to fall in love with this place more and more and more.

I also love some of my teachers.  One of them is Hermano Nunez.  He's hilarious.  Small little guy, but great at teaching Spanish and the gospel.  You can tell he's an RM!

We also had the opportunity to visit the university last week!  It was amazing.  I love talking to people about the gospel.  It makes me want to get to the field already.  It started off with a guy chasing us down and ranting at us for like 20 minutes in Spanish.  I have no idea a word of what he said.  It was ridiculous.  He could have been praising us or swearing at us.  No clue.  It got better from there on out though.  We gave one guy a Book of Mormon and he sincerely sounded interested.  I love it!!!

Since some Latinos also came in, there's actually people to play soccer with now.  It's a blast.  They don't play physical at all since they're tiny.  All of them are probably under 5 6.  One is probably under 5 foot.  It's way fun though.  They're super technical and quick.  Reminds me of how Garrett Bingham plays if you know him.  

Also there should be pictures and stuff posted on my blog!  elderpotokar.blogspot.com.  Check it out.
Love you all! E. Potokar.

(emailed to Family)
This week went by crazy fast.  I feel like I was emailing yesterday.  It gives me a glimpse of how fast the whole mission is going to go by!

Are you using your repellant? Here is what was posted Tuesday on the mission presidents wife's blog: Chikungunya has hit epidemic proportions here.  Government estimates of those infected range from 400,000 to 1,00,000! The dire prediction that one-third of the population will contract the disease has been changed to 40%-75% expected to contract the disease.  Imagine 75% of a population contracting a disease!  The absenteeism in businesses has had a huge negative impact on the economy, and it’s only expected to get worse..... so please be proactive about using your repellent!
I'm only outside for around an hour a day so I generally don't use the spray.  I don't think it's that bad.  A missionary got it and was down for a couple of days, but he's fine now.  I think most of the teachers here have gotten it within the last month or so and are fine now.  So I'm not too worried about it.  If I'm outside for a couple of hours I'll put it on though. 

They did have pillows here.  I'm just about perfectly packed I feel like.  I wish I would've brought my Nike soccer shoes though.  That's about the only thing I wish I had.  The (microfiber) towels we bought are weird.  They struggle to dry daily, but even when wet they dry me fine.  So ya.  I've also heard from a couple of friends and it sounds like they're doing great.  Little to no homesickness which I really don't understand.  

The shaving is slowly coming.  I usually do it lightly so it doesn't hurt as much.  Also my stomach has calmed down.  It feels so much better now.  And yes, still tons of rice and beans.  The temple here is incredible.  I love it so much.  It's SO beautiful.  Unfortunately, I've only been able to go once since it's been closed.  I'll get to go next week though.! Yes I do lead all my district's stuff.  I think I do a good job of it, but I have no idea.  I love them so much now.  They're family.  They're helping me get through this.

It's crazy how much Hodges is like me is ridiculous.  He's got an even better work ethic than I do sometimes.  I think I might have him beat in the girl department/socially though.  We'll see.  Haha I'm way too competitive!  My nightly routine is also very similar.  My comps are all in bed by 10:15 and then I read for around 15 minutes.  I wish I had longer though.

One of the teachers here was wearing a sweater yesterday.  They're insane here.  I can't believe they can just live with the heat like that. Next Friday we also get to do splits with the missionaries for around 7 hours instead of the university.  I'm looking forward to that.  Should be wayyyy cool.  All the Puerto Rican missionaries said it was amazing.  I feel ready to go, but I know my Spanish isn't up to par with it. It's going to be crazy. I can't wait!

Also at the university I got really frustrated with the language!  I just wanted to tell these people the good news.  I wish I could have better.  It's made me more motivated to learn Spanish well.  Also I was outside for like 3 hours and I was way sweaty.  I don't know what a whole day is going to be like!

I'm also having trouble focusing when people start speaking Spanish when I can't understand.  It's hard.  I'm working on it though.  It's hard to not let my mind wander to home.  There's not a ton to think about here.  I think that'll change once I hit the field.

Onto the list.

My desk here is exactly like at home.  Classroom and bedroom.  Funny how I've been raised and lived and it has still stuck with me.  

Also no dinner appointments are allowed here anymore.  I just thought I'd let you know that.  I'll be cooking for myself every meal!  Haha hopefully my trainer knows how to cook!

The Latinos here are crazy too.  So energetic.  I can't keep up with them.  I don't know how they get that much energy.  They're like little kids!

Glad to hear my letter made it home.  I hope you enjoyed it.  It felt good to write it rather than type it.  Tell Lydia happy birthday again!  I hope it's a fun day today.  Happy early birthday to you (dad) too!  I hope you have a great one! 

Did you ever get that lawn mower fixed?


Also thanks for all the music.  I was looking through it and there's tons of stuff on it!  Thank you soooo much.


The blog looks fantastic.  I got a teacher to look it up the other day and it looks great. Also uploaded a bunch of pictures and a few videos to the drive!  Go check them out:)

I suggest reading "Our search for Happiness" too if you haven't.  I read it last week and it was amazing. Now I'm starting Jesus the Christ.  Is there any way  you could send me a list of scripture masteries too?  Those hymn list was perfect too.  Thank you so much!

Also I finished the BOFM this week finally!  I felt a burning like I never had before.  It was amazing.  I know this is something I'm supposed to do.

Could you also have the family pray that I may have the gift of tongues to be able to teach people?  I'm going to need all the help I can get in this!

Also next week I may have more time to email since all the Puerto Ricans are leaving on Tuesday.  We'll see.

I love you sooo much!  Miss you and the family and home tons too! Have a great week.
E. Potokar.

Bedroom

Cafeteria


Classroom

  Computer Lab


Beautiful Temple Grounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment